Your dream holiday is booked, and Machangulo Villas awaits your arrival! Reaching our exclusive destination is the next step. Here are the best ways to get here, including tips to ensure an exciting and effortless trip.
The journey to our unique travel destination in Africa is an incredible experience. After all, it marks the beginning of your holiday!
As our guests, you can choose between an adventure drive through the Maputo National Park or a scenic boat ride across Maputo bay while breathing in the fresh ocean air. Alternatively, hop on a flight from Maputo for an exceptional aerial view of the surroundings.
Machangulo is a stunning remote location. Therefore, thorough Mozambique travel planning is essential.
We recommend browsing all the essential travel and packing tips before departure. This way, when you arrive at your luxury beach villa, you can ease into your holiday effortlessly.
So, grab your travel notepad, and let’s get going!
Driving from Maputo: The Best Way to Reach Machangulo by Car
The drive is through The Maputo National park. You access the park via the Futi Gate, which is the only entrance to the park. From here, travel time is approximately 3 hours, and the distance is about 42 km to The Machangulo Nature Reserve gate.
On your journey, witness an array of wildlife, including hippos, zebra, wildebeest, and a variety of buck species. Take in the awe-inspiring sight of a herd of elephants or giraffe. If you are lucky, a cheetah may catch your eye.
Along with spectacular scenery, be prepared for an extraordinary road trip.
What you need to know
- You require a 4 x 4 vehicle
- There is little or no connection network throughout the trip
- Avoid Google Maps, or you may end up in deep mud fields
- Re-fuel your 4 x 4 after the Katembe Bridge before you reach the Futi Gate
- Upon entering the park via the Futi Gate, lower your tyre pressure to 1.2 bar
- Drive extra carefully through the dense parts of the park, as the wildlife are well camouflaged
- Ensure you have plenty of snacks and water
- Consider some additional time to do a self-game drive around the lakes in the park
- Download your villa route description before your journey, which we will send you in prior
Keep calm if you get lost. Eventually, the roads come together if you follow the electrical poles.
Boat Ride to Machangulo: Exploring the Area via the Waterways
Whoosh across the Indian Ocean while passing the tropical island of Inhaca!
Speedboat services operating between Maputo and Santa Maria take approximately 1.5 hours. Rates begin at 50 USD per person for a return trip, with a maximum of 13 passengers permitted.
We recommend booking a private boat for a more intimate experience with flexible times. Rates begin at 650 USD for a return trip, with a maximum of 13 passengers permitted.
Upon arrival in Santa Maria, our 4 x 4 taxi service will take you to your beach villa (a surcharge will apply). Rates depend on the location of your villa and vary between 2000 – 4000 MZN for a one-way trip.
What you need to know
- The Indian Ocean has a will unto its own. Depending on the weather conditions, your ride could get bumpy
- Remember to wear sunblock and a hat that can withstand wind
Flying to Maputo: The Nearest Airport to Machangulo
Experience a birds-eye- view of the Machangulo peninsula when you arrive via plane or helicopter.
The private airstrip and helipad accommodate flights from Maputo or small private planes. The flight duration is approximately 20 minutes.
Return rates begin at 125 USD per person for a minimum of 5 passengers. For 6 – 9 passengers, rates start at 78 USD per person.
Our dedicated staff at Machangulo Villas happily assist you with all your flight requirements, including the necessary landing permits.
Furthermore, our Machangulo Concierge Service adds that special arrival touch. A delicious spread of refreshments and snacks is yours to enjoy for a surcharge. Cheers to your holiday in Machangulo!
After your splendid welcome, our 4×4 services take you to your beach villa.
What you need to know
- Air ticket prices are subject to change
- Enquire about rates for 1 – 4 passengers
- Luggage restrictions apply
There you have it! Choose your preferred transfer option, and get in touch.
Lush weather and sunny smiles welcome you to our beautiful beach villas in Mozambique!
Final Machangulo Tips:
- There is no ATM in the Machangulo peninsula. Bring some Meticias (MZN) as petty cash. Most non-inclusive activities accept card payments
- Enquire about a stronger Wifi signal at the MSA Office located behind the airstrip
- Purchase a local SIM card (if you are not Mozambican)
For more travel tips, please read our packing & planning for Machangulo blog aqui.
“I never knew of a morning in Africa when I woke up that I was not happy”Ernest Hemmingway